Sauce au vin rouge – Red wine sauceMarch 3, 2011 1 Comment
This is a great way to use up left over red wine or stock. Is it possible to have left over red wine???? haha
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 French shallots, finley chopped
1 onion, finley chopped
1 tsp white and black peppercorns, crushed
1 field mushroom, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finley chopped
500 ml red wine
500 ml strong beef stock
2 thyme sprigs
2 rosemary sprigs
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Add the shallots and onion and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion caramelises.
- Add the peppercorns, mushrooms and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add half the wine and simmer until nearly dry.
- Poor in the remaining wine and cook for 10 mins, or untiul reduced by three – quarters.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until reduced by half, skimming the surface regularly.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a small saucepan and bring back to a simmer, skimming again to make sure the sauce is free from impurities.
- Simmer for 10 mins or until it is glossy and had the consistency of pouring cream.
- Remove from the heat, add the herbs, cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 10 mins to allow the flavors to infuse.
- Pass through a fine sieve to remove the herbs and keep the sauce warm until needed.
TIP: Any excess sauce can be stored in a airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Enjoy this with Boeuf en croûte
Baked beef fillet with mushroom in pastry crust.
Buon Appetito!Adapted from French Kitchen by Serge Dansereau
Tags: Baked beef fillet with mushroom in pastry crust, French cooking, French Kitchen, Red wine sauce, Serge DansereauBooks, Food writers, French Kitchen, Red wine sauce, Sauces, Serge Dansereau