Lamb and roasted beetroot spinach saladNovember 18, 2011 No Comments
Being pregnant always represents a time of food deprivation, food aversions and of course the food cravings. Given that if you listen to your obstetricians you are not allowed to eat half the foods out there you tend to…… or should I own that statement and say ‘I listen’ and ‘I tend to’ concentrate on my food cravings and make up for the deprivation with other yummy foods. Perhaps this says a bit about my personality, food obsessed!!!! haha! So last week I was really craving this Lamb and Roasted Beetroot salad I had eaten at a friends house many years ago. I don’t have the recipe and can only really remember it vaguely so I spent the afternoon thinking about how I would recreate a meal that I can only vaguely remember the taste of but there was obviously something that made an impression on me about it.
This is my version of Lamb and roasted beetroot spinach salad.
- 500g Lamb Leg or Backstrap marinated (see below)
- 2 medium beetroots
- Small boconcini cheese sliced or Feta if you prefer
- Spinach leaves
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Pine Nuts (to taste)
- Salt and Peper
- 150ml Oil
- 1/2 Lemon
- 3 cloves of diced garlic
- Marinate meat and place in a air tight container and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours…. the longer the better.
- Wrap beats in foil and place in pre-heated oven and cook at 200°C for 1 hour. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes and peel.
- Heat a BBQ plate or inside grill to very hot. Cook lamb for 3-5 mins each side to your liking, allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, wash your spinach leaves and place on serving plate, scatter cubed beetroot, sliced boconcini, pine nuts and dress with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, season and mix well.
- Slice up lamb and place on top.
In the end I can say it really didn’t taste like the version I had had at my friends house. It was different and SO GOOD. A definite stayer on my dinner repertoire.
Tags: beetroot, Healthy, lamb, Lamb and roasted beetroot spinach salad, spinachLamb, Lamb and roasted beetroot spinach salad