Lamb Shank Pumpkin SoupJune 12, 2012 4 Comments
Given that when I woke up this morning the temperature around Melbourne ranged from .7 and 3 degrees and yes I was absolutely loving our central heating that worked tirelessly through the night, I thought it would be a great idea to bring my loyal readers a yummy tummy warming soup. Now, I like my soup to be hardy and this definitely fits the bill. I posted on FB about me making this one day and got lots of positive feedback and people wanting the recipe.. but as usually it’s a bit of a delayed reaction with me but better late than never right?
Do you ever wish you could cook dinner in the morning and have it nice and warm on your plate in the evening without any effort on your part at all? Well my answer is, SLOW COOKER. I love my slow cooker because I can do just that. I make this soup in the morning, turn it on and by the evening it’s still sitting in my slow cooker, warm and delicious.. all I have to do is serve it. So I ask you, do you own a slow cooker? What is your favourite slow cooker recipe?
Introducing Lamb shank pumpkin soup….
- 1/2 cup dried brown lentils
- 3 french trimmed shanks (approx 700g)
- 2 tbsp moroccan seasoning
- 500g pumpkin, chopped coarsley
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 400g canned diced tomatoes
- 400g canned chichpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Rinse lentils under cold water until water runs clear. Drain.
2. Combine lamb shanks, seasoning, pumpkin, stock, undrained tomatoes, chickpeas and lentils in 4.5 liter slow cooker. Cook covered on low for 6 hours.
3. Remove lamb shanks from slow cooker. When cooled enough to handle, remove meat from the bones; shred coarsely. Discard bones. Return meat to cooker; season to taste. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
NOTE: It is a good idea to remove any visible fat from the lamb shanks because otherwise the soup can get rather fatty.
Buon Appetito and STAY WARM! FG xAdapted from ‘Womens Weekly More Slow Cooker Recipes’ cookbook
Tags: Lamb Shank Pumpkin Soup, slow cooker, SoupLamb Shank Pumpkin Soup, Slow Cooker Recipe, Soup